Below is an excerpt from my book which has been in progress since 2006. I haven’t added to it for a long time but blogging has reenergized my passion for writing and I’m going to commit to working on it now.

On the eleventh of May, 1999, I woke up with what I
described to my mom as “the worst headache of my life.”
She talked me into going to school and I made it through
the day. At track practice we ran intervals: sprinting a
lap, jogging a half, and repeating several times. I fell
down a couple of times while running and I began to feel
significant pressure in my head, pain intensifying. I
decided to take a quick break and headed to the locker room
for a drink of water. Another student thought it was a
good idea and went with me. The pressure began to feel
overwhelming and everything started to go dark. I put my
head down on the locker as I softly sagged against it.
Reese asked if I was ok; all I could make myself say was,
“Can’t talk”, before collapsing to the floor. Blood gushed
from an ArterioVenous Malformation, it’s existence
unbeknownst to me. There was bleeding all over my brain.
_________________________________________

Body lying excruciatingly still for over an hour, I was
aware of the people standing over me, my consciousness
still on this plain. Debate ensued about where to take me,
and it was almost decided to transport me to a local
hospital via ambulance. At last, firemen who had received
recent training about closed head injuries came on the
scene and recognized what happened. They immediately
called for a Medevac helicopter. It landed on the baseball
field interrupting an ongoing game and I was rushed over,
rolling at top speed across the pavement on a gurney toward
the helicopter.
The helicopter lifted off, accelerating rapidly and soaring
swiftly toward Harborview Medical Center. Me, the
Scarecrow, surreally metaphorized in real life, skipping
down the yellow bricked path in the sky to see the wizard
in Seattle, the Emerald City.

15 thoughts on “Brandon’s Book Excerpt: Scarecrow To Emerald City

1. So glad Brandon that you survived to tell your story. I cannot wait to read more of your story. Keep writing. Keep sharing. Keep being an inspiration to others.

1. Thanks Kathy I appreciate your kind words very truly 🙂

2. anitashope says:

It will be an interesting read. Before I published my fiction book concerning heaven, I read a lot of books on near death experiences trying to get a glimpse on what people saw. My book is a light read about dogs that are in heaven waiting on their owners to arrive. It is not near as real as what you went through but I was trying to reach those who are on the fence about God and heaven and my logic was “everybody loves dogs” so there is my story. Looking forward to more of your story.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you for your comment and interest in my book 🙂 That sounds like a very heartwarming and good read, what did you title it? I started writing a fiction book about cats haha I would like to finish that as well at some point although I’ve hardly begun. Thank you, perhaps I’ll post another excerpt today 🙂 and will try to get some good writing in this weekend!

1. anitashope says:

My book is “Our Home of Love”. The premise of the story of course is fiction, although I believe in my heart dogs will be in heaven. The dogs themselves are real and the stories they tell of their time on earth has more truth than fiction. It was a fun write to give my children a little of the history of mom from the view point of the dogs she grew up with. Keep me posted on your book.

Liked by 1 person

2. That sounds like an incredible book, I believe that too, that we are spiritual beings living a human life rather than human beings living a spiritual life. Thanks for sharing and I hope to get to read yours, I certainly will 🙂

3. Elaine says:

I’m waiting for more ❤️

Liked by 1 person

1. 🙂 I’m glad to hear that ❤ thank you! I'll post more over time! For the whole thing though you'll have to wait for my book! 🙂

4. beth says:

wow, keep going, can’t wait to read more

Liked by 1 person

1. I will, thank you for the positive feedback and encouragement!

5. Bethanywyer says:

Brilliant. So glad you survived. I know what it’s like coming back from trauma. You’re a true inspiration. X

6. Bethanywyer says:

This is brilliant. I’m so glad you survived. I know what it’s like to come back from something traumatic. You’re an inspiration. X

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you very much for complimenting my writing and your other kind words. True empathy is powerful, you must be a fighter too 🙂

7. Schoolspiration by Kamina Fitzgerald Ed.D. says:

Oh my goodness, I am sitting on the edge of my seat ready to read what happened next. Sorry for what you have experienced, but am so glad you survived to share your story. I pray the passion that has been ignited in you to write, will continue.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you! It makes me happy you want to read more! I appreciate your kind words and I hope so 🙏 too, I can create that possibility :).

Liked by 2 people